Saturday, June 7, 2014

The name on the stone

In early morning the sky is grey,
Without thought, I wend my way
Past the pillars with straight angles,
Past the headstones laying level.

I am young, with little thought
For the lives that now are not.
I know that my time will come,
But for now, I am young.

I see the names in pretty metal,
With the scripts that speak of angels
And pause beside a knot of stones
That say "father, mother, son."

Beneath each name a poem tells
Of people whose lives respect compels.
I wonder what my stone would say
If it was written now, today?

I thought, "I do not want my name,
Nor anything resembling acclaim."
Because I know, that day I die
I'll stand before God, unable to lie.

"I've failed" is all I'll have to say
"I've broken each law, every one."
But by His grace, He'll say "Well done."
I need no other words on my stone.

No comments:

Post a Comment