Do you know your face still lights up when Dad walks in the room or that you smile when you speak his name, listen for his car, and think and speak of him often? Do you know I watch every time he kisses you, thanking God that He taught you both to love constantly, tenderly, and unselfishly? From you I have learned that a wife should love what her husband loves as I watched you learn baseball, fantasy baseball, and the baseball game on Facebook. I have watched you grill and buy Cubs clothing and look forward to those boring baseball games because you learned to love what he loves.
Do you know from both of you I have learned what it is to support and strengthen one another? I have learned a definition of godly marriage, and I have shared that with friend after friend as they marry. Your unselfish joy in each other is a gift you give to you, to me, and to all those your children discuss marriage with.
From you I have learned to cook, to clean (with bleach!), and to balance a checkbook. I have seen you mix those mundane tasks with the joy of walking with God, even working in a place where God is denied and yet living the light of the gospel. I have learned it is possible to do a hundred things well in a short period of time and I have learned to take time to rest. You have taught that God can be trusted when we are physically weak. I have poured my heart out to God for your health, learning what it is to pray for I desperately want, and yet, watching you, to trust Him if He says no. You have taught me that He gives overwhelming grace in our weakness.
You show me that I can come to you, telling you what is in my heart, and you will give me good, sound advice. I would trust you with any decision I had to make, and yet I know how to make many of them without help, because you taught me independence. I take courage, knowing that you pray for me as I make those decisions. I know, when you reach heaven, that your life as a mother will be one of the tasks where He will say "well done, good and faithful servant." I am so thankful that He gave you to me, Mama.
No comments:
Post a Comment