"Well done, good and faithful servant." The thought of Jesus saying that to me sends chills up my spine, wonder through my heart. I have just read The Last Battle and watched a king, a king in character, name, position, mind, and heart, fight a hopeless war. I watched him lose. I heard him, after he lost, greet the High King above him, having fought till the end. I rejoiced as he walked and spoke with other kings and queens, and saw the friendship of royal people in its majesty and simplicity. After that, Aslan came.
"but as he spoke the earth trembled. The sweet air grew suddenly sweeter. A brightness flashed behind them. All turned. Tirian turned last because he was afraid. There stood his heart's desire, huge and real, the golden Lion, Aslan himself, and already the others were kneeling in a circle round his forepaws and burying their hands and faces in his mane as he stooped his great head to touch them with his tongue. Then he fixed his eyes upon Tirian, and Tirian came near, trembling, and flung himself at the Lion's feet, and the Lion kissed him and said 'Well done, last of the Kings of Narnia who stood firm at the darkest hour.'"
We're studying Revelation in Bible study, and I read of those who also stand firm in the last hour; us. I read of the witness we are to hold. I read of Tirian thinking of all the children that became friends of Narnia in its need, and felt as he did, for they 'came from somewhere beyond the world and fought a great battle and set him on his father's throne. 'But it was all long ago,' said Tirian to himself. 'That sort of thing doesn't happen now.'" Our victories, pictured in the Bible, don't happen like that now. Yet Tirian was still able to call to Aslan. He asked for help from the Lion, from those who were His. I thought of my faith and my struggle, my lackadaisical witness and my careless evaluation of God and His word, my apathy for His glory. I speak more with Tirian's doubt than his faith.
Tirian was a king, and I wish to be a queen, a servant in God's kingdom. And when I think that someday I may hear "Well done, good and faithful servant," even after it appears I have lost, because God has still won, I tremble with wonder and longing. God, grant that your work may be done well, by a faithful servant, not a careless one. Grant me faith to believe in your victories, even when I can't see them. In the name of Christ, amen.
No comments:
Post a Comment