Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Absurd

If I were you,
I'd turn away.
I would not wait
another day
to leave behind
this wayward child
who yells and hits
with passions wild.
If I were you,
I'd draw away
and give the child
the choice I made.

When you were me,
you did not sin;
you blessed the father,
without, within.
You healed the sick
helped the poor
spoke the truth,
gave more and more.
When you were me
you did not cease
till every task
brought the righteous peace.

To be God's child--
an absurd thought!
As if a shark
were a child's pet.
As if a mute was given scripts
for Hamlet's speeches, Shakespeare's wit,
As if a cripple wore ballet shoes
and stood on stage while Swan Lake played.
As if the deaf were given CDs
without their titles, told to sort them, please.
Each scene mocks beauty, each scene absurd,
the child of God, that title's squandered.

"When he saw the crowds, he had compassion for them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd."
Sheep are dumb,
helpless, smelly.
I could be
a sheep of yours.
But God if I
your sheep would be,
then "I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep"
was said to me.

It is absurd, 
this love of yours,
but when you speak
my soul ignores
the mocking picture 
I have of me,
I silence my fears
for what you will, will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment