I was walking down a dusty road one day (the road was called Life, I believe) when I came a across a metal signpost. The gray post had only one sign, which pointed (rather shakily) into the uncertain distance; written in white, reflective letters was the word "Unsure." I looked down and sitting under the signpost was a girl, who'd been looking in a bewildered way in all directions. Now she stared at me.
"Hullo," I said. "Who are you?"
"I don't know," she said. "Who are you?"
"Why--you're me!" I said in astonishment, for I saw she was.
"No, I don't think so" said the girl under the signpost. "That is, I know you, but I'm not you."
I looked at her curiously. "What do you mean?"
"Well, look at you...you're walking along, going somewhere, somewhere important--and you want things, you know."
"You don't?" I asked, sitting down beside her to get to know her better. She shifted to make room for me.
"No--that is, I know I want to do things well, but not other than that, I don't want anything. And if you don't know what you want to do, wanting to do it well seems rather silly."
"But surely if it doesn't matter what you do, you could do a hundred things and do them well!"
"Oh no no no," she said quickly. "You see, I want it to make me happy. Or rather, make others better and happy, which comes down to the same thing, most times." Again she looked in every direction, searching again for something--perhaps something to want.
"So--how do you know me?" I asked, to break that helpless silence.
"Why, don't you know?" she said, startled. "You're what I used to be. And I'm what I am."
I pondered that for a moment. "Do you wonder--I mean--what do you think we'll become?"
Slowly, a big smile broke out on her face. "That's it," she said. "I wonder what we'll become."
No comments:
Post a Comment