My sister has asked me to create a blog that reviews what I'm reading; I've been thinking that suggestion over for the past few days - to create such a blog would have several pros and cons.
First, there's several sights out there that do the same. My college roommate has one. There is no lack of blogs, opinions, or readers on the internet, and if I do create a blog wherein I critique what I read, it would have to be with the humility that not only may I be wrong, I may also be insignificant. Writing something does not guarantee having it read. In some ways this may be a good thing, as it would be great for my character, and my sense of humor, to realize I can be insignificant. But that realization should not interfere with the quality of what I create, and it could be difficult to strive for excellence in the insignificant. To pour my mind and time into something, only to have it sit invisibly in an intangible warehouse called "the cloud," would be hard. Yet in Paul's time he told Christians to do all things well, not as those who please their masters but those who work to the glory of God; that should still hold true today.
Second, if I did it, I would have to devote time to writing and time to reading, and I'm hard pressed to find the time to read at the moment, much less write. But even while writing this (in the ten remaining minutes I have before getting ready for work), I realize that it could be one way of counting my blessings, for if I make sure to write a post every time I finish a book, that would show me better than any other way I have how much time God gives me to read. Since I love reading, I never have enough time to read; because I have that mindset, I rarely stop and thank God for the time He gave me to read, or realize how much time I have been given to do so.
On the side of the pros, writing about the books would force me to think about what I read. Right now, that would be a remarkable blessing, for I have been reading The Two Towers (book 3), The Four Loves, For You Departed, and The Prince (by Rivers, not Machiavelli). Once I finish those, I'm hoping to read A Severe Mercy, The Return of the King, Too Late the Phalarope, and The Prophet. Most of those have truth it would be good for me to remember (and meditate on, for having read The Two Towers so many times, I find I still forgot much of what it does not state but says well). On the other side of that coin, the site would provide accountability, for I am also hoping to read Starcrossed, Messenger, and The Golden Door, and to publish what I am reading (whether what I publish is read or not) is a good means of accountability, for if I am ashamed to write about what I am reading, I am unable to say it was well for me to read. Unless, of course, I turn to the human frailty of justifying myself by explaining myself, whether that justification is valid or not.
I think I'm thinking about this too much - and I have three minutes left, and much to do. God, whatever I end up doing, may it be to your glory. Amen.
No comments:
Post a Comment