Saturday, December 1, 2012

Sarah's Song

"By faith Sarah herself received power to conceive, even when she was past the age, since she considered him faithful who had promised. Therefore from one man, and him as good as dead, were born descendants as many as the stars of heaven and as many as the innumerable grains of sand by the seashore."



Barren Sarah's Song
I want to have a child.

TO have a child, a son of mine,
To feel his skin, so soft, so warm,
To give him milk, to hold his form,
To have, to keep, cradled, [kind].

I want no more of this reproach,
I want to feel that heaven smiled,
I need to hold my baby near--
I need to have a child.

To bear an heir, to give a son,
So borne a home, a family line,
My husband good, his hope [fulfilled]
A birth of hope, future begun.

I want no more of this reproach,
I want to feel that God has smiled,
I want to feel that I have worth--
I want to have a child.

To walk with pride in tents and towns,
To wash away the bitter words
That women use, that cleave as swords,
Their words so silenced, son, by you.

I want no more of this deep need,
I want an end to pain, despair,
I want to live, I need to breathe; 
I want, I need, to hope no more.

A promised hope I scarce believed,
A word, I laughed, to hear it said,
My body old, as good as dead,
Yet God to us--"your prayer received."

I did not want to bear this hope,
I did not want to feel this need,
I did not want to feel this weight,
That some day soon I might conceive.

My heart, my mind, my need, held sway--
But God stayed close through al the pain,
Rebuked, surrendered, I gave Him reign,
He walked with me, each day by day.

I want to trust this God of ours,
This Yahweh, LORD of life, of love,
If He has said "this will be done,"
I trust my child will outnumber the stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment